Monday, March 23, 2015

Embrace Athleisure

If you bought Lululemon stocks five years ago, you would have seen your investment being more than tripled so far. And this year Lulu had apparently left all the negative news behind and is now heading north all the way again. Despite complaints of its dropping quality year after year and my unwavering verdict of this "overrated sports brand that charges premium mostly on its brand image rather than anything tangible", I have to admit that Lulu had spearheaded in bringing in a new fashion trend that is in full blossom this year -- Athleisure.

The perfectly descriptive buzzword shows women's desire to live a comfortably confident life in style. And for that reason, I see this change of tide more permanent than transient. From designer yoga pants to layering cashmere sweaters, these gym-to-street pieces are functional and comfortable, and at the same time, stylish and curve hugging. And the good news is: now we have more brands to choose from beyond Lululemon.

I've got a few running pieces from Under Armour and Nike recently. I happily notice that they are now taking a page of Lulu's style book and offering more body hugging styles, all with their fast dry fabric designed for serious workout maniacs.

Take this springy Under Armour 1/2 Zip top for example: When I put it on in the fitting room, I just loved seeing myself from every angle. It was definitely body hugging, but in a comfortable and flattering way. The fabric used in UA's ColdGear line wicks sweat away quickly and keeps you dry and warm. I've been using it in my outdoor long runs and weekend hiking trips. No complaints. The only improvement I would suggest to UA is: add pockets please.


Jeans: James Jeans
Purse: Rebecca Minkoff MAC

1 comment: