Monday, May 5, 2014

As Gothic As I Could

If there is a style that I'm absolutely obsessed with but cannot find a way to pull off, that will be Gothic. And I've painfully come to the conclusion that I probably never will. The reason is I'm too well nutritioned. There is a saying, "you are what you eat." And I definitely look like someone who eats salmon, steak, and lamb on regular basis. Plus, I work out. Plus, I love tanning. There is no way that I will look skinny enough or pale enough to resemble a morbid angel that lives on instant noodles besides alcohol, tobacco or weed. I can't look vampy, no matter how much white powder, black eyeliner or black lipstick I pile up.

But I don't give up. I'm so attracted to this mysterious and exotic style that, occasionally, I will attempt a muted Gothic look that doesn't look too outrageous on me. Like this one: black lace dress, black-red lipstick, dark black sunglasses, dark purple / gold necklace, Gothic ring, purse in distressed leather and jeweled gold sandals. I could have used a pair of black lace-up boots to complete the look, but I do keep functionality in mind as well. After all, it's already May and I enjoy walking around the city over this sunny weekend. -- All the outfits posted are real-life outfits that I live in.

Oh, there is another reason I don't look vampy: I smile to much!


FYI, I bought this exquisite soft lace dress by Karen Zambos Vintage Couture from Shopbop in 2011. I've collected tons of compliments on it! It's made of fine 100% silk lace. Now it's not easy to find high quality lace dress like this, but I'm sure there are substitutes as sheer is one of the themes of the year. Free People carries lacy Gothic or Bohemian dresses all year long.

The necklace was bought from Anthropologie and it's now on sale.

To get the vintage dark red lips, I first applied a layer of red lip liner (NARS Lipliner Pencil in Jungle Red) all over the lips to define the shape and prevent the lipstick from running. On top of it, I layered a black lipstick (Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in 48 - Satin Blackcurrant). Black lipstick is really hard to fine, and this is a warm reddish black color. It's very creamy, pigmented and long-lasting, but you need a lip liner underneath to prevent bleeding. Love it! Go for 49 - Satin Blueberry if you prefer a cool tone. I would leave 50 - Satin Black to Halloween. :)

Silk lace dress: Karen Zambos Vintage Couture (current season, similar, similar, similar, similar, similar, similar, similar)
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Super Duper Strength in black
Necklace: Bougainwillea necklace by BaubleBar from Anthropologie
Ring: Juicy Couture
Purse: Chanel
Sandals: Vince Camuto (current season)


7 comments:

  1. haha.. too well nutritioned.. 其实还是挺有风情的,而且很耐看

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got fair skin - agree that a smiley face is not gothic, but keep on smiling!

    ReplyDelete