Thursday, March 20, 2014

2014 NYC Half Marathon (2014-03-16)

"What I lack in speed I make up for in cute." This was the line embroidered on my hairband, and illustrated my attitude towards my first race ever: I just wanted to have fun!

And it turned out to be a fun experience. I finished almost 20 mins ahead of my estimated time. No heart burn, no short breath, and no muscle sore. I wanted to thank everyone who had been supportive for me to complete this 13.1-mile journey, from start to finish.

No, I was never a good runner. When I was in high school, 800m was always my biggest nightmare. I would inevitably fail the first test, took the pain of getting up early and running a couple of loops around our building in the next 2-3 weeks, and struggled to pass the make-up test. This pattern repeated for a good six years until I went to college. I was a physically weak and clumsy kid.

What has changed in the past ten years is my life style. Better nutrition and active life style have gradually built up my strength and endurance. Six long runs right before the race have remarkably improved my cardio capability. When I first hit 9 miles on the road, I was literally dying. I even doubted my sanity of entering the half marathon race. Surprisingly, the 11-miler in the following weekend turned out to be less taxing. And the 12.5-miler a week after left me with nothing but desire to keep running and complete the once intimidating 13.1-mile journey. I myself was amazed by the progress I'd made in the past six weeks.

My childhood friends all know how I struggled to pass the physical education exams every year. If I can go this far, everybody can do it. Believe in yourself, set a goal and go for it. Rome wasn't build in a day, but it is never to too late to start your new adventure. How do you know what you are capable of if you have never tried? :)

For those who are interested in the cute outfit I had (oh, I'm the one wearing a pink top and black pants in the background! I'm Asian,  not African American.)... The Lululemon base runner 1/2 zip is both functional and stylish. It breathes well and dries fast. I felt both comfortable and cute whenever I was running in it. And its front pocket is big enough for all necessities (keys, money, credit card, lip balm, moisturizer) plus a pair of gloves! And the CW-X compression tights secure my leg muscles and joints. It might explain why I did not feel any muscle sore after the race. Good stuff!

pink top: Lululemon base runner 1/2 zip
compression pants: CW-X Stabilyx tights

2 comments:

  1. 我也是以前体育极差出国后开始锻炼身体,健身,跑半马全马的。你写的经历感觉都很相似。。估计还有好多像我们这样的。加油!跑个全马会更有成就感的:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 谢谢鼓励!说明国内的体育教育很失败啊,一点乐趣都没有,现在是自己很开心的去练这练那的,才体会到锻炼的快乐。

      Delete