Monday, August 4, 2014

Chicwish: A Not So Romantic Experience

I follow quite a few fashion bloggers, but I rarely go with their recommendations. Inspiration is good; copy cat is no fun. More importantly, my training and experience as a finance professional make me extra aware of conflict of interest. If a fashion blogger profits from her follower's purchase, chances are she is willing to compromise her integrity to collect every penny. Photogenic items may turn out to have crappy quality, the blogger may use hidden pins to fix the goofy fit, the photographer may shoot from a specific angle to make the picture look nice, and there may be many other details not disclosed even in the fine print. After all, blogging is a grey area that is not regulated.

That said, once in a blue moon, I do fall to my knees at the beauty of those carefully edited pictures and take the bait.

Chicwish is a brand that has apparently launched a marketing campaign through collaboration with many fashion bloggers recently. Their midi skirts in dreamy prints wowed me with every picture. After months of resistance, I decided to give it a try. As this was the first time I purchased from this brand, I did consider two important questions: 1) what is the shipping/return policy? 2) what is my size?

Chicwish offers free shipping, but the customer has to pay the return shipping label. The "About Us" page states that, although their headquarter is in Hong Kong, they do have an office in California. The address of this California office is shown at the bottom of every single page (CHICWISH STUDIO, 612 Alabama street, San Francisco CA 94110, United States). OK, shipping back to California is no biggie. $11 flat rate priority mail would be the maximum shipping I have to pay. I was fine with that. So I ordered midi skirts in two prints. I like this Turn Back Time Scenic print so much that I ordered both XS and S (because some online review suggests sizing up), just to make sure that I got the right size.

Two weeks later, I received nothing.

I contacted Chicwish through their website. They apologized for the delay and promised that the package was on the way.

Another week passed, and I finally got the package. The shipping label said it was originated from China. My heart sank.

I opened the package. Three skirts of two prints and two sizes were all wrinkled from the packaging and shipping, but the prints were as beautiful as what I'd seen online. The fabric was not the best, but did maintain its puffy retro shape as desired. Size XS and S were not that different, although size XS did fit me better than S.

So now I needed to return one of the two Turn Back Time Scenic Print Midi Skirts to Chicwish.

The invoice had the return address. It was not in California, not even in Hong Kong. It was in Shenzhen, China. And the invoice stated very clearly that all returns must go to China.

Did I want to pay international shipping to return a $43 skirt? No. I guess no one would even bother. I listed the skirt on mitbbs and poshmark, and sold it at a marginal loss. And I truly believe that this is exactly what Chicwish wants me (and other consumers) to do. You've got an item you don't want? OK, sell it to others. Don't ship it back to us.

I'm utterly disgusted by this business strategy.

And I'm equally disgusted by the fashion bloggers who've sung the praises for this shady online retailer.

Don't tell me that this is normal for international shopping. I've made purchase on stylebop before, and the online retailer: 1) never pretends to be a US-based company, and 2) covers the return international shipping cost to Europe.

Here is my full disclosure of Chicwish shopping experience:
  • Colors and prints - as shown online;
  • Fabric - you get what you pay for;
  • Shipping - expect delay due to international shipping;
  • Online customer service - submit your request online and they will get back to you within 24 hours;
  • Return - given the expensive international shipping cost, all sales are essentially final. 

Top: JCrew Bateau Tee in Stripe
Skirt: Chicwish Santorini Print Pleated Midi Skirt (also bought this Turn Back Time Scenic Print Midi Skirt, more amazing prints: poppy field, London eye, neon lights)
Necklace: Anthropologie
Sandals: Pedro Garcia Xola Ankle Strap Sandals in almond/white
Clutch: Prada

15 comments:

  1. 犀利啊,佩服敢说敢做有能力有毅力的紫苏
    裙子还是挺漂亮的说

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 对,裙子还是挺漂亮的,质量跟淘宝上面三四百人民币的东西也差不多,我本来也没指望能买到很高级的东西,毕竟价钱摆着呢。单单这些是真没什么好抱怨的。但是他家宣传自己在加州有办公室,网站上也丝毫不提退货地址,等你收到货物以后才知道是要退回中国深圳的,这实在让人恶心。

      Delete
    2. 我也跟风买过一个裙子,质量感觉比各处的pic看起来差远了。确实,价格摆着呢。

      Delete
  2. 能不能讲讲你的英文写作是怎么学得这么好的呀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 写中文写英文其实路子是相通的,文章的结构 行文的条理都是一样的,只是套了不同的语言当外壳。平时多读多写,慢慢就顺手了,文章就不再是一句一句的,而是一段一段的,一篇一篇的。语气顺畅,条理清晰,就是好文章。不要过分纠结语法和个别用词。:)

      Delete
    2. 谢谢。感觉你的词汇很丰富。

      Delete
    3. 可是我的GRE词汇考得一点也不高 :)

      Delete
  3. 同意不能盲目跟风blogger,裙子print很好看!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 我看到另一个blogger说她写邮件去chicwish问他们能不能退到美国,他们就给了她三藩的那个地址耶~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same exact story and debating if it's worth it to ship it back to China today or just suck it up and eat the cost of the skirt. Thanks for sharing. Now I have a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just brought two items from them I'm hoping for the best

    ReplyDelete

  7. I made 2 orders and both of the orders had one missing item respectively. Even though the shipping label claimed there were 3 clothes inside, only two found. I've contacted their customer support 2 days ago but still no feedback.
    So disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 我也中伏了 cry T_T can't really return at all!!!

    ReplyDelete