Friday, October 3, 2014

Brand Name or Not?

This is a sensitive topic, and I will try not to sound like a snob because I'm not.

We all like bargains. No one will pay $10 on something that she can get for $7. Reality is a bit more complicated than this simple maths because the $7 piece is most likely not identical to the $10 one. How much you are willing to compromise on the cut, style, and material for this $3 difference is absolutely personal choice. And in this post, I'm going to discuss my personal take on this.

To be honest, premium brand cloths tend to have better cut and material, although that may cost quite a bit. When I splurge on a piece of clothes, I have the following check points on my list:

1 - Does it fit perfectly? I see cut and fit as THE most important factor. An ill fitted piece looks cheap no matter it costs you $20 or $2000. And, not all brands fit the same. On my tiny frame, for instance, Burberry, Gucci and Fendi fit the best, Marni is a wild card, Miu Miu looks weird, and Armani is a total nightmare. Never buy anything just because it is a big name or because it looks perfect on someone else. You've got to know your body.

2 - Will I wear it often? For example, a huge distraction for our ladies is those premium brand gowns in deep discount. If you are not walking down the red carpet in the near future, don't buy them. Splurge on jackets, pencil skirts, and overcoats; you may also go picky on jeans if you wear them on daily basis. Buy items that you can easily style with multiple pieces in your current wardrobe. By doing so, you will get more mileage and lower cost per wear.

3 - Is the style/color classic and timeless? We all try to go with the trend to some extent, but fashion tide changes every three to five years. Save on trendy pieces and splurge on timeless items. In asset allocation, there is the so-called core-satellite theory that allocates the majority of asset to strategic long term core holdings and the minority to tactical portfolio that captures the market trend. Same applies in fashion; building your wardrobe around classic pieces will solve the always-one-piece-short syndrome.

Bottom line: I'm not Paris Hilton, and I did not marry a Russian oil guru. I want to spend my hard-earned money wisely on things I will wear on multiple occasions for years, just like you do.

Enjoy your weekend and happy shopping!

Closeup of this lovely Fendi dress. Hope you can see the delicate knit work. :)

Cashmere dress: Fendi
Silk scarf: Alexander McQueen (similar, similarsimilar, similar)
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Super Duper Strength

1 comment:

  1. 记住了那三点,谢谢。肯定以后用的上。

    ReplyDelete