Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Royal Stewart Tartan Updated

Alexander McQueen
In a season of plaids, Royal Stewart tartan is one of the elements that should not be overlooked. It came into full blossom last winter, and continues to be seen in many offerings this year.

Personally I was not a big fan of tartan prints...until I saw this tartan print dress in the Alexander McQueen exhibition a couple of years ago. The somewhat rustic somewhat preppy thick material adds weight and history to the feminine lace and tully. The dress looks so fresh and young.

That's when I concluded that mixing tartan with other elements may create some really interesting outfit that looks both old and new. Tartan should not be limited to prep school uniforms.

In particular, I like the idea of mixing tartan with leather. This is a combo of tradition and modern, country style and urban chic. This February for instance, Rita Ora stepped out in a DKNY tartan dress with a black leather jacket. I simply loved this look!


That is why I was very excited seeing this wool/leather jacket from Karl Lagerfeld earlier this year. This is my first Royal Stewart tartan print purchase after I finished high school. :)


Wool/leather jacket: Karl Lagerfeld
Pants: Club Monaco Carolina Skinny Waxed Pant (also seen in this outfit)
Sunglasses: Karen Walker Super Duper Strength
Booties: VC Signature by Vince Camuto


2 comments: