Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Maxi Dress with an Oriental Touch

Dreadful weather in NYC these days. Maybe it's the perfect time to dig into my old pictures. :)

This is one of my favorite maxi dresses. The slim and long fit reminds me of Cheongsam (or qipao) from those good old days when China managed to incorporate western body-hugging silhouette into our traditional modest yet elegant fashion style. The muted grey color (with bright yellow trim) and the cotton fabric also resonate with my Chinese heritage deeply. And, guess what? I bought this dress from an American brand in an American online store! That left me wondering what OUR designers had been doing... We all know that there is a 唐装/汉服 movement in China, which encourages us to go back to our traditional attires. So far it seems more focused on special occasion (e.g. wedding, graduation ceremony) attires. I see its future as bright as the kilt. Let's face it: fashion evolves. Our fashion heritage can only survive and thrive if it adapts to modern life style. I'd be more than proud to wear a Cheongsam in my everyday life as long as it is both comfortable and fashionable. 
Click for large picture (taken in 2012).

Dress: Monrow (current season)
Sunglasses: Tom Ford
Flip flops: Havaianas 

4 comments:

  1. 裙子很有味道。
    不知道是不是先入为主,对比了一下,感觉mm两年前和现在比是要单薄一些。更喜欢mm现在的身材 - 更加健美有活力!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 谢谢!10磅的肉呢,贴上去结实了不少。我,我爸和33都喜欢现在110磅的样子,但是我妈更喜欢我100磅的样子,她直言我变壮变丑了。哼,我才不理她呢!

      Delete
  2. Love this - you lit up my morning!

    ReplyDelete